Wait… what?… That’s NOT who is in the finals here in Omaha? No best of three between the SEC and ACC monster powers?
Coastal who? From WHAT conference?… And Arizona, a Pac 12 team? Pfft, c’mon. You are SOOOOO lying.
I guess I better stop being so hilariously facetious here. Yes it is Coastal Carolina and Arizona. That’s right, a pair of two-seeds facing off for the national title. This will be the first time since 1992 that two team who were not seeded among the top 16 will be facing off for the national title. This will also be the 11th time in the last 13 years that the winner of the big brass ring will be a team that is not a national seed.
So, are you SURE you want your team to be a top eight seed? Be our guest.
Here are a couple of notes and nick-knacks on this year’s title finalists
- The last time the Wildcats even made the field of 64, they won the national title. If you recall that was 2012 and they went unbeaten in the NCAA tournament, beating defending national champion South Carolina in two straight under head coach Andy Lopez.
- Arizona was picked to finish ninth in the Pac 12 in the preseason.
- With two wins here this week Arizona will tie rival Arizona State with five national titles. That will also tie them for fourth overall in titles won behind USC’s 13 titles, Texas and LSU have both won six titles.
- The Pac 12 leads all conferences with D1 baseball national titles with 17 in all. Of the current members of the conference, the Pac 12 has 28 titles. If Arizona wins this series the conference will have won three of the past five titles.
- Jay Johnson is the fifth head coach to play for the national title in his first year at a school… but the previous four coaches all lost in the title round.
- The Chanticleers are trying to become the first team since Minnesota in 1956 to win a title in their first season in the CWS.
- History is not on CCU’s side since the last nine teams to reach the title round in their first appearance in the CWS have all lost. Then again, in their NCAA tournament run the Chanticleers have shown that they don’t care much about history.
- Sitting at 53-17, if the Chants win the national title they will match their school record for 55 wins in a season.
- Coastal leads the nation with 95 home runs, which is also the most yard calls in a season since the advent of the BBCOR bats in 2011.
- Coastal Carolina is bucking for its first national title in any sport at the D1 level.
- The Chanticleers have 12 two-out RBI, which is the best of any team in the CWS.
GENERAL CWS/POST-SEASON NOTES
- This years College World Series has been a series of firsts, so far…
This the highest strikeout rate in the history of the CWS with 21.4% of all at-bats being strikeouts, edging the previous high of 21.3% in 1967. The 7.17 strikeouts per nine innings is also a CWS high-water mark edging out 1999′s 7.12 This is already the most double plays in a CWS since the move to TD Ameritrade Stadium with 29 in all. And though there have been only nine home runs hit in the CWS, the 217 total round-trippers in this year’s NCAA tournament is the most we’ve seen in the post-season since the advent of the BBCOR bats in 2011.
- Of the last four national titles won by the Pac 12, three have come against teams from the Carolinas:
2006: Oregon State beat North Carolina
2007: Oregon State beat North Carolina
2012: Arizona beat South Carolina