Well all it took was an amazing, herculean effort from No. 3 starter J.C. Cloney and Arizona is now one win away from its fifth national title. The junior bulldog flinger held Coastal Carolina to just four hits and three walks as the Wildcats took game one of the CWS title series 3-0.
Game two is at 7pm Omaha time. If Arizona wins, it’s over. If CCU wins there will be a game three on Wednesday night.
- History is on UofA’s side as 10 of the 13 teams to win Game One in the Championship Series has gone on to win the national title.
- History is also NOT on UofA’s side as Jay Johnson is the fifth coach in the first year of a new job who has taken his team to the national title game, but the other four have all lost their quest to win the big brass ring.
- Arizona has given up a total of six runs in their six College World Series games. They are bucking to become the first team to hold their opponents to an average of one run or less in their quest to win the title.
- J.C. Cloney’s 16 scoreless innings on the mound are the most for a pitcher in a single CWS.
- Arizona is currently playing defense at an insane .995 clip, after having committed one error in 221 chances so far.
- Arizona’s starting pitching in the CWS has combined for 40.2 innings, three earned runs, 42 Ks and 12 walks.
- The Chanticleers haven’t lost back-to-back games since getting swept at Georgia Tech in late April/early May. They also lost three straight since March 2nd, 4th and 5th when they lost to College of Charleston, Cincinnati and Ole Miss respectively.
- The Chants didn’t get their first baserunner to 2nd base until the 9ht inning in game one.
- After the 3-0 loss in game one, Coastal is now 29-1 this season when holding its opponents to three runs or less.
- Keep an eye on the bottom of the lineup for CCU as the 7-8-9 hitters have gone 15-41 with 11RBI in elimination games. Meanwhile the rest of the order has gone 21-91 with 12RBI.
- In the CWS, Andrew Beckwith and Bobby Holmes have combined for 26.0 innings pitched, four earned runs and three walks. The rest of the arms have gone 28.0 innings and given up 14 earned runs and 16 walks.
- CCU has never won a national championship in any sport. The best they’ve done is finish 5th in men’s golf in 2007. Their start player? Dustin Johnson
- There still has yet to be a fan run onto the field to interrupt play in this year’s College World Series.
- No team has ever thrown a pair of shutouts in the championship series history. Arizona has a chance to do that in game two.
- There is still a huge dearth of runs in Omaha as there have been an average of just 6.13 runs per game so far this year. The previous best is 6.14 runs per game in 2013.
- The winner of this year’s CWS will be the first team to win the national title out of the loser’s bracket since South Carolina in 2010.
- There have been four shutouts in this year’s CWS, which is the most since the inclusion of aluminum bats in 1974. The last time there were five shutouts in the College World Series was in 1972