Hey there StitchHeads. Remember my Baldcasts from THIS venue?… That’s right, The Cave… it’s back. I went into The Cave to shoot my latest ESPN video, with my old camera angles and all. Tell me how you like it. Just felt like goin’ Old School once again. Okay, so here’s the latest ESPN weekend preview… [...]
I’ve got to admit, I’ve had Seton Hall in my Top 20 Power Rankings most of the season. Hell, they swept Arizona and won a game at Oklahoma on opening day. Then, two weeks ago, they dropped two of three games at Butler – a new member of the Big East. And the Wildcats and Sooners started looking more than human as their losses started to pile up. So I’m sorry to say, I dropped SHU out of the Power Rankings after that, though they remained in my ballot that I fill out each week for the NCBWA poll.
Heading back to get my East Coast bias on again, I decided to stop into Georgetown’s Shirley Povich Park in Rockville, Maryland and see how The Hall looked in person today. It was a comfy game that turned into a nailbiter in the end. Still, the Pirates stayed dry on the high seas with another W.
Okay StitchHeads, here’s what I wrote for the ESPN college baseball Notebook that was posted today:
Have a good college baseball weekend. Without all that pesky hockey stuff getting in the way, you know I’ll be around.
First off, here’s my ESPN college baseball weekend preview including my weekly video. I hope you can get through it without hurling your lunch:
Yep. You know what this time of year is for me. It’s when I put up the “Gone Fishing” sign on the door and watch some college hockey somewhere in the Northeast. Well before the best post-season in college sports drops the puck on Friday, I decided to catch a college baseball game up in Hartford this afternoon.
Here’s the latest work I’ve done for the Mother Ship, click on the following highlighted copy as I take a look at some teams who need to give us some proof they’re worth their salt.
Looking forward to this weekend. Gonna be doin’ a lot of college baseball, college hockey and college basketball in the next few days. Fun time of year.
First off, here is this weekend’s ESPN preview for you guys:
Secondly, I went to see West Virginia play at Cal State Northridge this afternoon in the San Fernando Valley. The Mountaineers are a team that is flying under radar right now, but could be in for big things this season.
Hey StitchHeads out there in baseball-land.
So here’s a few things I think we discovered about college baseball in the first month of the season.
Also, don’t laugh, they actually sent me a microphone and a “flag” as they call it. So now I can’t talk with my hands as much as I normally do.
There are three old adages concerning rain which I never believe anymore.
1- It never rains in Tiger Stadium.
2- It never rains on a Christmas.
and 3- It never rains in California.
I’m calling bullshit right now ‘coz I’ve experienced each of them, numerous times too.
Okay StitchHeads, here’s the link to my ESPN weekend preview with my ugly mug on video: Click your little mouse here.
And then, here’s Roons & I’s latest High & Inside Baldcast and all its glorious soapboxes:
Back with more soon.
A STATE OF THE UNION:
My fellow StitchHead Americans. We are about to embark on a great journey. It will involve a lot of pain, a lot of joy, a lot of sacrifice and a lot of bitching. But it will be a lot of fun.
I will start this thing with links to the latest columns posted on the Worldwide Leader today…
Here’s a piece I wrote about former Arizona State coach Pat Murphy.
And here’s the Weekend Notebook on ESPN.
To kick things off, here’s a quick State of the Union for College Baseball Today and the plans for this season:
- First off, this will be Year No. 6 of the CBT site and Easton is still just as enthused as they’ve ever been about sponsoring the site and giving college baseball another outlet.
- As you guys may know already, ESPN has also hired me to do a weekly college hockey weekend wrap-up column each Monday, thus fulfilling another bucket list item. So it will change the way I work Sundays and Mondays during the first two months of the baseball season as the two sports overlap.
- I will have to eschew the 20 Mondays columns that I did last season – and enjoyed doing as well. But ESPN has asked me to do a weekly Power Ranking for the site each Monday, so I’ll still be ranking teams. And as usual, the Power Rankings aren’t going to be some kind of end-of-season projections or favors for a high-ranked team who beats Florida A&M three times in extra innings. No quarter given, people. And no bullshit.
- The High & Inside baldcast will return again, of course. Mike Rooney and I were hoping to do a preseason “StitchHead Awards” baldcast, but our schedules just didn’t work out. Damn real world work keeps getting in the way of our plans. I’ve gotta get Roons to quit his job.
But we’ll keep doing High & Inside when we get a chance. Our goal is to do it each week, but that usually fluctuates week by week depending on our travel schedules.
- I still hope Mark Etheridge changes his mind sometime soon and starts writing his wicked-good college baseball garb.
- I still refuse to be boring or cliche’. And yes, I still promise to use regular, every day language, just like any coach you had when you played baseball in high school.
More tomorrow, when it’s time to get it ON.